Saturday, October 10, 2009

Why do we serve? We serve because Jesus did.

After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down, and asked, "Do you understand what I was doing? You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord', and you are right, because that's what I am. And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washer your feet, you ought to wash each other's feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them. (John 13 : 12 - 17).

Serving others is not something natural for us. We all want to be served. The very act of being served makes us feel important. It also implies that we are somehow superior to the one who is serving us. Jesus, however, totally changes our mindset by his own very behavior. He washed His disciples' feet.

Jesus set the example for us to serve each other. If Jesus served we are compelled to do the same. This washing of the feet was an ordinary, mundane task but Jesus, the Son of God, was not too important, too busy or too proud to serve the disciples.

Copyright, 2009 Island ECC, Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment